About Me

My photo
I'm 23, documenting my life with Crohns disease. 6years, 2 surgeries and....?

The whole story...

Never by halves.

The title 'never by halves' is what my Mum said to me, "you never do things by halves do you"
Less than 10minutes of writing my last post I had to go to hospital.
I managed to hold on for my surgeon and went to see him at 6pm.

We initially thought my join was leaking.
But it wasn't that, but I had concerning symptoms and really wasn't well at all.
He tried to touch my tummy around the wound and I yelped in pain.
He couldn't even lightly touch the skin.
He admitted me then and there and walked me upstairs to the ward himself.

A new doctor came called Stavros, first name terms for reason I am about to tell you.
I had so many injections, blood tests and IV's that I have no veins left. None.
This poor doctor took 4 attempts at getting blood out of my arms and hands.
Half success but the blood just dribbled out. They couldn't find my pulse either.
"am I dead" I joked to the nurses.
They had to call an anaesthetist down from theatre to get my bloods done.
Typically being who he was, first attempt was a success, he couldn't see the vein but he could feel it.
"It's a blind shot but worth a go" he said to me.

After that it was waiting for the results which were rushed off to the labs.
I was given pain meds as my temperature was really high. And I'm well known for never having a temperature when I'm ill, I have to be seriously poorly before my temperature goes up!
At about midnight the nurse came in and said I was booked for an emergency CT scan for the morning.

The next morning I waiting and Mr B (Surgeon) arrived back. My bloods were showing up some things that indicated infection and a few other things so a CT was definitely needed.

Down in CT I layed on the table and they tried to get a vein for the dye and drip to help whatever it was show up on the scan better... They looked at my arms and hands and all the bruises and said the "oh you poor dear, oh thats awful, your a pin cushion" They had one attempt and failed.

Stavros was called again. I asked the nurse if it was him who was coming and that my veins really annoyed him the night before. He walked in and rolled his eyes, wiped his forehand and said "hello Miss Gibbs, I've been dreading seeing you again" 40 minutes later he was still trying and failing to get a vein.

In the end they gave up and said they couldn't do the CT without the dye but could do an MRI.

I hate MRI scanners, I'm so claustrophobic. I lay on the table, they placed the boards on me and tied them down. Placed the panic button in my hand and I was pushed into the dome. 45minutes later they pulled me out.

I asked if they could see anything on the scan and they said they could see the parts of intestine I was missing and could see whatever that 'tennis ball sized lump' was.

Mr B and a radiologist analysed the results and decided I had an infected hematoma. Otherwise known as a blood clot.

The one thing I'd been freaking out about and making sure my legs weren't crossed and I kept moving. I got, but in my tummy not my legs. It was in the muscle tissue layer so not deep inside. They put me on some strong antibiotics to help it and if that failed then it was either a big needle into my stomach to drain it or surgery.

Luckily the antibiotics are working so far.

Mr B came this morning and had a look at my wound, asked for a big swap, the nurse said "I swabbed it yesterday" he said "I know, its not for swabbing its a pokey tool" he looked at me and said "Sorry, I'm a surgeon, poking is in my nature"

I grabbed my Mums hand and he poked it. He wanted to make a path for the blood clot infection to get out. He managed to ram this stick half way inside me. So far in it got to the point where it didn't even hurt anymore. It just felt horrible! He said he could feel alllllllll the way down. Gross.

He then gave it a massive squeeze, which hurt but shows the antibiotics are working as he couldn't even lightly touch the skin the other day.

I'm home now, and feeling alright, it's still very painful. I'm annoyed that this is going to hold me back from flying for a little while. But as soon as I get the all clear I'm on that plane to Ireland!

No comments:

Post a Comment